The Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development (ORHED) invites you to take part in the next Peer-to-Peer Web Conference Call. Scheduled for June 8, 2022, this call will offer participants the opportunity to learn more about best practices of investing in rural and underserved communities.
Tim Lampkin, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Higher Purpose, will focus on Black business ownership and community wealth in Mississippi. Caitlin Cain, Vice President and Rural Executive Director, will discuss climatic capacity in rural places. Gbenga Ajilore, Senior Advisor, U.S. Department of Agriculture/Rural Development, will focus on effective and ethical rural development.
The Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System recently published Investing in Rural Prosperity, a book that delves into the past challenges and future promise of rural communities in the United States. Investing in Rural Prosperity outlines a framework for how to approach rural development successfully, showcases stories of progress in different communities, and highlights recommendations for action by policymakers, practitioners, funders, and researchers. By highlighting insights from rural development experts across the country, Investing in Rural Prosperity seeks to help rural communities achieve shared economic prosperity.
Join HUD's Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development leadership as we engage rural community leaders in this open forum about investing in rural prosperity. Speakers will include:
- Robin J. Keegan, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Economic Development, Office of Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Jackie L. Williams, Ph.D., Moderator, Director, Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development, Office of Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Tim Lampkin, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Higher Purpose
- Caitlin Cain, Vice President and Rural Executive Director, Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC)
- Gbenga Ajilore, Senior Advisor, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rural Development
Topics to be discussed
- Supporting local entrepreneurship and small businesses
- Investing in climate resilience
- Advancing racial equity through rural development investments
You must pre-register to receive a joining link for the event.
If you have any questions, please call 1-877-RURAL-26 (1-877-787-2526).